Sunday, March 2, 2008

Guest Cook, Whiskey and Planting Lettuce

A good friend of the Lodge, Paula, had long been committed to visiting us as a guest cook. I for one was really excited, since I knew Paula to be an excellent cook from parties that she has held. Her style is usually mainly Italian; but this time she had decided to do a Scottish menu, since - well, since she's Scottish and we never get to eat this kind of stuff. So, we were treated to cauliflower and blue cheese soup, haggis stuffed chicken breast with pancetta and "rumple dithymps" (basically mashed potatoes and white cabbage), and kranachan for dessert. It was a great meal! The Lodgers ended up drinking whiskey and talking philosophy until 6 am - my own state is documented here.


The next day, I was incapable of doing anything requiring mental activity, so I decided to plant some lettuce outside in these boxes that I bought in Woolworth's for about £1.50 each. Very excited! Today, I saw the first tiny shootings, and I'm convinced that in a month's time, we'll have a load of homegrown lettuce for salads. All in all, last weekend was great!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. In fact, great stuff! I wish I had been there for Paula's night, it does sound as if it was one of the best nights in the TGL ever.

I miss you ...

Andreas said...

It was definitely great! The Lodge misses you too.